Penne Pasta - 1/2 cup
Black eyed peas- 1 cup ( cooked )
Cannellini beans - 1 cup ( cooked)
Tomato puree or crushed tomatoes - 1/2 cup
Whole tomatoes - 1 ( chopped)
Celery ( chopped) -1/2 cup
Zucchini - 2 ( cut and cubed )
water / vegetable stock - 5 cups
V8 juice - 1 cup ( opt.)
Parsley leaves - 1 Tbsp ( chopped)
Onion - 1 ( finely chopped )
Carrot - 1/4 cup ( chopped)
Black Pepper - 1/2 tsp'
Basil - 1/2 tsp
Dried oregano - 1/4 tsp
Garlic ( minced ) - 1tsp
Sugar - 1tsp ( opt.)
Olive oil - 1 Tbsp
Parmesan cheese -1 Tbsp For garnishing
Bay leaf - for garnishing
1. Heat 1 tsp olive oil in the pan. Saute garlic,onion,celery , zuchhini onion, carrot,pasta whole tomatoes and tomato puree for 5 mins.
2. Now add the cooked beans, dried oregano, black pepper and salt.
3. Mix 1 cup V8 juice into 5 cups of water ( if vegetable stock is not available ) and then add this into the pan. Let it cook for 10-12 minutes as pasta takes 12 mins. to cook.
4. Garnish it with Parmesan cheese, bay leaf and now add 2 tsp olive oil on the top. Serve hot.
5. One can only use Kidney beans or black eyed peas if the cannellini beans are not availale.
This healthy soup contains pasta ( cereal ) , Beans ( pulses and legumes) and Parmesan as a protein source , vegetables ( source of fibre), water, Olive oil ( good quality fat).
Italian dictionary describes Minestrone ( Minestra) as a medium thick vegetable soup. The authentic origin of Minestrone comes from countryside contadina families. To use the leftovers , they invented this dish, so the ingredients vary from time to time and place to place. One thing doesn't vary, however is the fact that it's a staple of Italian cuisine.
( source - Where is the Minestrone ? By Peter Carusone )
According to Angello Pellegrini , Italian -American writer of great heart , soul and humor says of Minestrone, the best time to go for Minestrone with a vengeance is in the Fall. Its a seasonal as well as regional dish. By using the dry beans and the whatever vegetables available one may prepare it during any time of the year, But if one wants the best , it must be made in the early fall months when all the fresh ingredients like fresh Basil the real secret ingredient of the soup is available. ( A country inn cookbook )