Tomatoes - 3
Bell peppers - 1 big
Onion - 1 big
Cauliflower - 1 cup cooked
Peas - 1/2 cup
Tomato puree - 1 cup
Potatoes - 2 med.
Ginger - garlic paste - 1 Tbsp
paprika - 2 tsp
butter - 2 tsp
Red chili powder - 2 tsp
Pav Bhaji masala - 4 tsp
Hing / asafoetida - 1/4 tsp
Kasuri methi - 1 1/2 tsp
Cilantro - 1/2 cup chopped
Low fat cheese - 1 Tbsp ( opt.)
Garlic bread -
1. Cook all the vegetables in 2 cups of water in the microwave & mash them but keep 1/4 cup of chopped onion aside.
2. Heat the pan. Put 2 tsp butter in the pan.Add the onion, ginger-garlic paste,1 Tbsp cilantro, Kasuri methi, hing and saute till it becomes brown.
3. Then add red chili powder and pav bhaji masala and salt. and saute for 1 min.
4. Now add all the mashed vegetables. Add the water also in which we cook the vegetables. mash well.
5. Now the yummy pav- bhaji is ready to serve. Garnish it with cilantro and grated low fat cheese.
6. Serve with garlic bread.
Pav- Bhaji is the most famous dish for most mumbaikars. In hindi pav means Bread and bhaji means a curry and vegetable mix. Sometimes it can be mumbaikar's breakfast, lunch or dinner. Pav bhaji is to Mumbai , what pasta is to Italy or the hamburger is to America !!!
( source - Encyclopedia of India,Pakistan and Bangladesh by Om Gupta )
Everyone has their own recipe of pav-bhaji. This recipe is influenced by Juhu chowpaty pav-bhaji recipe.... I know... nobody can beat that taste of that pav-bhaji ....
Today is the valentine's day and this is my valentine's favorite recipe. So I decided to make this today after long time !!! I prefer to add cheese in the pav-bhaji over extra butter as it gives protein + taste. Traditional recipe has lots of butter but there is no source of good quality protein in the dish.Personally I would not consider this as very healthy recipe as it has butter.One can add more butter and make it more tasty... But one can certainly eat it occasionally to treat themselves. Enjoy the recipe !!!