Broccoli is a member of cabbage family. The name is derived from latin name '' Branchium " which means branch or arm. Broccoli provides a complex of tastes and textures ranging from the soft and flowery florets to the fibrous and crunchy stem.
Native country - Europe
Nutritional benefits -
1. Although low in calories, it is most nutrient-dense food.
2. A cup of Broccoli provides same amount of protein as a cup of rice or corn , but less amount of calories.
3. It is an excellent source of Vitamin A,C,K , Folic acid and fibre, phosphorous, potassium, magnesium,B6 and vitamin E.
4.It also contains glucosinolates and phytochemicals with tremendous anticancerous effects.
100g Broccoli - 35 Kcal, 2.3 g protein, No cholesterol, 0.4 g of fat, 7.2 g carohydrate, 3.3 g fibre
Health Benefits -
1.It has anticancerous substances like glucosinolates and lutein.
2. It contains Sulforaphane which helps the body to get rid of Helicobacter Pylori. This bacterium is responsible for peptic ulcers and gastric cancers.
3. It contains carotenoid which prevents macular degenaration. It protects retina from damage.
Tips for preparation.
1. It can be served hot or cold, raw or cooked.
2.It can be added to salads or omlets.
3. It can be lightly steamed for 9-12 minutes, stir-fried or sauteed. lemon juice and sesame seeds can be added to the lightly cooked broccoli.
4.With the puree of lightly cooked Broccoli and cauliflower , one can make delicious soups by adding seasonings of their own choice.
( Reference - Encyclopedia of healing foods, Broccoli and other tales of food and love )
Ingredients of Broccoli Soup.
- 1 teaspoons butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh broccoli
- 1 large onion, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth ( opt)
- 1 cup Low fat milk
- 1/2 cup cream ( opt.)
- Croutons (opt)
- 1 tsp. garlic
- finely chopped parsley or cilantro
1. Cook Broccoli , onions, for 9-12 minutes.
2. Blendarize the these boiled veggies with water, low fat milk, cream ( opt), all purpose flour, salt and pepper.
3. Put butter in a pan. Saute garlic paste.
4 . Pour the blenderized puree into the pan. Add 4 cups of water or chicken broth.Let it cook for 3-5 mins.
5. Garnish it with chopped parsley or cilantro leaves.