The first time I tasted puff pastries was at Monginis, a local bakery chain in India. Hot puffs with coffee is a perfect snack (when you are not counting calories ;) ) Puff pastry is a quick appetizer one can make by using a variety of stuffings, sauces and ingredients. One can make tasty appetizers using spicy stuffings and desserts using the sweeter ones. Here is an idea I thought of to make puffs using chinese sauces. The recipe is given below.
Puff pastry sheets - 1 packet
*Potatoes - 2 medium, sliced and half cooked (3 mins in microwave)
Sesame seeds - 1 Tbsp
Schezwan sauce - 2Tbsp
Cilantro and cheese for garnishing
Oil, salt and sugar
*Potatoes can be replaced with paneer or chicken.
1. Thaw puff pastry sheets for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
2. Heat oil in a pan. Put the sesame seeds, salt, sugar and potatoes in the pan. Fry them well.
3. Then add schezwan sauce and cilantro.
4. Cut the puff pastry sheets in 8 squares. Fill the stuffing inside and give the desired shape to the puffs.
5. Bake the puffs for 15 minutes in the pre-heated oven.
6. Garnish with chopped cilantro and cheese.